[채용] Project Officer, Sustainable Fisheries Programme
WWF is one of the world’s largest and most experienced independent conservation organisations, with over 5 million supporters and a global network active in more than 100 countries. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
WWF-Korea was opened in 2014 and now is looking for passionate people who have the drive to conserve the nature and solve the environmental problems.
The Project Officer of the Sustainable Fisheries Programme (SFP) will be based in Seoul, Korea, working as a full time role under the fixed term contract. He/she will work as a member of the SFP Team under the supervision of the Programme Manager, but is expected to work with a high degree of anatomy and initiative. Working closely with the SFP members, he/she will engage in implementation of various projects and the programme activities, especially the projects designed to – but not limited to these;
1. Promote the sustainable fishing practices in the domestic and distant water fisheries of Korea;
2. Prevent, deter and eradicate illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing activities involving fishing vessels, businesses and other stakeholders in the domestic and export seafood value chain and to improve traceability and transparency of the seafood produced, processed and traded therein; and
3. Facilitate and promote sustainable procurement and consumption practices of seafood in the domestic market, with the special emphasis on sustainability-certified seafood products.
To ensure the timely and successful delivery of the project outcomes and deliverables, he/she is expected to leverage his/her knowledge and skills in cooperating with members of WWF International and Korea’s Office and engaging in external stakeholders.
Working as a member of the SFP Team, the Project Officer is responsible for;
- Organizing and convening in-person and virtual meetings with key stakeholders e.g. fishing companies, cooperatives, seafood processors/traders/buyers/retailers, government officials, and NGOs
- Implementing and co-designing communication activities to increase the public and consumer awareness,
- Keeping track of and monitoring in changes in fisheries-/fishing-related policies at the Korean government agencies, Regional Fisheries Management Organizations, International Maritime Organizations, UN Food and Agriculture Organizations and other relevant national/international organizations and agreements
- Implementing and co-designing research and analysis to support the implementation of the projects and the overall Ocean Programme, or as integral parts thereof
- Liaising and maintaining regular contact with key stakeholders mentioned above
Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in science, management, international laws/policies, or conservation related to fisheries, oceans, natural resources, or environment, or business management related to fishing or seafood is preferred.
- Years of professional experience in marine and fisheries conservation, policy, environmental law, environment and development or marine/coastal resources management are preferred
- Experiences in working in government agencies, pelagic fishing companies, seafood processors/traders/buyers/retailers or other relevant organizations are preferred.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of major marine conservation issues including fisheries impacts and management, , international marine law and governance and community based marine resource management. Good understanding of the links between marine conservation and issues such as climate change, sustainable development, and international trade;
- Experience in working with governments, corporate sector, aid agencies, civil society, and NGOs;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills in English and Korean
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Knowledge of research tools and methodology
- Ability to collect and analyse useful data and information
- Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time and within budget
- Commitment to, and demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work unsupervised, in a rapidly changing environment
- Effective computer skills
How to apply?
If you would like to learn more and soon join our team, please send us your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including a letter of motivation and resume. Please use the subject line to indicate which position you are applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Many thanks for your interest in WWF-Korea and this opportunity.